The nights are drawing in now, we’ve lit the wood burner a few times and we are thinking that we would like to move into our cosy warm little house before winter really sets in… The build is going well, a few set backs with the paint but apart from that it is progressing nicely, ever-changing and evolving. We have now reached our initial £4000 budget, so realistically that figure will go up quite a bit more- as tends to happen with these projects. We have most of the wood needed to build everything internally apart from our front door, so extra bits to get now will be paint, appliances, fabric and electrics/ lighting. The trailer did cost more in the end than first thought, but it was a very important part to get right as it is the foundations of the place. Really when you start to add up the costs, i think its all those runs to Screwfix buying glue, fixings, tape, screws, silicon, paintbrushes etc that really add up. Anyway here are some images of the last few weeks……
This is the space for our boot. Our bed will be above this area, so half of the storage under the bed will be accessible from outside. We plan to keep our water tank and battery here, as well as camping stuff and spare boots/wellies.
Preparing the final two windows to go in.
Nothing quite like the mess made with an electric planer.Here’s our bedroom window being fitted. I reckon its my favourite one for the shape and proportions.
Last hole is cut for the kitchen window at the front.
Making the boot frame. Douglas Fir. Such a gorgeous smell…
Then we spent a day cladding the first side with the metal sheets. The doors will be on this side but they are boarded up for now. A very tricky process to get every sheet lined up exactly square to the building and to the next sheet. Heavy work too- George had to hold each sheet up with a spirit level while I screwed in the fixings. The screws go straight through the metal into the wooden batons behind, with washers on each one to keep it all weather-tight. A few minor arguments but nothing too bad…!
Also a word about the paint that you can see in this image is indeed peeling off- and a handy hint here from me free of charge…ALWAYS read the paint tin properly. Turns out you are supposed to leave new galvanised steel for 2 months to weather before painting. Oops…So for now the painting stops….But it might give us time to change our minds about the colour…hmmmm…
Inside now and we start to insulate the floor. Instantly it is cosy. George cut out a groove for the plumbing and fitted our water pipes in. Two of them go from the tanks at the back to the sink. We are going to have one tap for drinking water and another one straight from the rain water collection (water butt) for washing up etc.
We bought some nice antique window stays, found on Ebay. As this build is new and all built from scratch, we are hunting for lovely old bits and pieces to put in and add some character. Currently searching reclamation yards for door handles.
Each sheet is measured, marked out, cut using the angle grinder, fitted, cut some more, painted with red oxide round the edges to stop rust, and then fitted once more and fixed on.
Liking the contrast where wood meets metal.
And a very exciting day on Saturday when we get our floor fitted. Its so nice to be able to walk around inside now.
Before we put the boards down, every sheet of insulation had expanding foam filled around the edges, and once that was dried and trimmed down, we taped shiny silver space tape over the joins. Same as in the roof panels….not a gap anywhere. We are going to be warm this winter!
The floor is now pretty much done…and we’ve got loads of room! Its a great dance floor.
And then we relaxed on Sunday afternoon with a lovely autumnal walk in the woods.