George has three weeks off work hooray! So it is all systems go as we make some real progress….
After some pretty awful weather here, we discovered a leak along this side, so the first job was a few backwards steps to fix the problem. Frustrating, but at least it happened now before anything gets too nicely finished inside. The problem arose where the eaves of the building can’t have enough space to overhang. Again, this is a compromise made so we can have maximum living space AND not be too wide to tow on the road. With all the wind blowing rain sideways under the corrugated metal roof, it was finding its way inside.
So, while the sun was shining (for now) we took off the oak soffit, let it all dry out, and modified the design.
George routed out new oak boards to exactly fit the metal sheeting. We would then silicone these onto the underside of the roof to form a seal, ensuring a watertight edge.
We also fixed extra plastic sheeting underneath and dropped the level of the soffits down past the top of the window frame, to stop any drips travelling back and in. Problem solved.
Meanwhile I spent pretty much a whole day foaming and taping the gaps inside.